Video Competition Requirements
For a chance to win an amazing £5k prize package and appear in a special short documentary series, by celebrated film maker Don Letts, we are looking for:
- Any video footage of British Subcultures. Which could include; Mods, Skinheads, Suedeheads, Soul Boys, Punk, New Wave, Perry Boys/Casual, Britpop, Rave, Indie and Electroclash.
- This may have been converted from cine film, VHS or Beta video or (more recently) captured on a camera phone or similar device. Ideally, it would have been captured in high enough quality to play back on a tv.
- For further information on exactly what you can submit - please refer to the submit a video or photo
- You will need to own the 'copyright' to the footage submitted, or have permission to enter it from the owner of the original footage. If you belong to a club or society that has access to this footage - then you will still need permission from the original photographer.
- Submissions are not limited to professional quality video. We want as much of the content of the films to be from people who were there and lived it.
- Filming a series of still images will not be considered original footage.
If you have videos of any images relating to any Fred Perry Subcultures - we would love to see them.
1. Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of Fred Perry Ltd, or any subsidiary of Fred Perry Ltd.
2. No purchase necessary.
3. You may upload images or videos as many times as you wish. You can enter both competitions with a video submission and a photo story submission.
4. Use of a false name or address, eg name by which the entrant is not usually known, will disqualify them from receiving any prize. Fred Perry Ltd reserves the right to oblige any potential winner to provide documentary proof of their identity and address as directed by Fred Perry Ltd before such person may claim their prize.
5. Proof of sending post/e-mail/SMS, making a phone call or completing an online entry, is not proof of our receipt of your entry. No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are lost or delayed, or which are not received for any reason.
6. The prize or prizes will not be transferable to another person.
7. No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
To put your video or images in context, we are asking you to write a few short words on why you took the video or picture. This will be a maximum of 250 words, but can just be a few lines. For example, this might be ‘me and my best mate Stan at a Wigan Casino Northern Soul All Nighter in 1979. I'm in my favourite Black Yellow/Yellow Fred Perry.’
Please do not upload video pieces that are longer than 3 mins duration.
All stories must be submitted in English.
**Please note that the main competition to win ¬£5,000 closed on the 20th December 2010**. We will still be giving away a classic Fred Perry shirt per month to the entry with the highest number of votes though. Fred Perry intend this site to become an online archive for all your images and stories for the future. A unique chance to become part of the brand‚Äôs unique street culture and music heritage. Please note that only one shirt can be won per entry/person within any 12 month period.
We are providing the option for viewers of the site (and your video) to mark your submission as a ‘favourite’. You will also be able to email friends to make them aware of your submission and see if they would like to mark it as a favourite. The images that receive the highest number of votes/favourites will automatically become part of the final 50 videos that will be considered for the prizes on offer.
Fred Perry (and the judging panel) reserve the right to choose the final winners from any submissions posted on this website. Videos that receive the highest number of ‘favourites’ will be given strong consideration and it will be an advantage. The video that receives the highest number of ‘favourites’ will not automatically be the winner of the competition. The winner will be judged on a number of factors including: cultural significance, originality of the subject, relevance to the Subcultures story and the unique qualities of the video.
Only one email vote/favourite per image will be allowed. Each voter can ‘favourite’ a variety of images/videos, but they can't vote for one image multiple times. This is to prevent any unscrupulous entrant (or hacker) trying to promote any one image unfairly. Any ‘robots’ or ‘scripts’ that are attempted on an image will automatically be removed and discounted.
When you choose to submit a video or image you will be asked to confirm the terms and conditions of uploading the image to the site - these will be clearly explained. In essence, by uploading the image you will grant permission for Fred Perry to display the images on this web site. The images will not be used for any other marketing purpose unless you have been contacted directly by Fred Perry for further permission to use the image elsewhere. This is why we will ask you for your full contact details as part of the upload process. This is also required to contact the competition winners at the end of the year.
Fred Perry does not own ‚‘Your Content’. You agree to allow any users of the Website free of charge and for personal use only, to view and transmit 'Your Content' on or through the Website, on other electronic communication media, for the entire period in which Your Content’ is hosted on the Website. In addition, for the entire period in which your content is hosted and strictly by means of the features that enable the Website to be accessed via the Internet or through other electronic communication media or technology, you authorise us to reproduce/display 'Your Content' and, as necessary, adjust its format for that purpose.
Every submission to the site will be subject to ‘moderation’ first. This means that it may take up to 10 working days before your submitted video/image/story appears on the site. Fred Perry reserves the right not to include images or stories for any reason whatsoever, if they feel that it could cause offence or be deemed inappropriate. This includes any visual or written submissions that could be perceived as: violent, immoral, racist, offensive, illegal, pornographic, obscene, or similarly inappropriate, or that represent Fred Perry in a negative way.
If any video or image is submitted of a child under the age of 16, you will need to confirm that the subject is either you (a historic shot) or that you are the parent or legal guardian and give full permission for it to be uploaded to the site. This will be part of the submission process.
Fred Perry, and any agents working for Fred Perry, reserve the right to hold any submission of image or video in ‘moderation’ and seek further clarification of the details or subject of the image/video by email.
2010 Photo Story Competition Winners
Fred Perry are proud to announce the winners of the Tell Us Your Story Competition. The response was overwhelming and the judging very tight. After much deliberation the winners are:
- Bethnal Green Boy
- Uploaded by: Trevor Webb
- Year of Shot: 1961
- Country: United Kingdom
- Tranquility is a natural cure
- Uploaded by: Max Waterer
- Year of Shot: 2010
- Country: United Kingdom
- Me 1984
- Uploaded by: GG.
- Year of Shot: 1984
- Country: Germany
- It's all about the dancing
- Uploaded by: Alex
- Year of Shot: 1980
- Country: United Kingdom
- Uploaded by: bingy
- Year of Shot: 2010
- Country: Croatia